The Society for the Study of Evolution (SSE), on behalf of the joint council, seeks an individual to help plan and run their annual scientific conference.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Overall conference management: develop and oversee an action schedule and coordinate planning activities with a small faculty meeting committee
- RFP/ site-selection: assist in identifying and evaluating potential venues including soliciting proposals, negotiating conference center contracts, and possibly conducting site visits
- Update and maintain the conference web site (www.evolutionmeetings.org)
- Accommodation coordination: assist with hotel and college/university dorm selection, contract negotiation, and reservation coordination.
- Exhibitor/Sponsor coordination: design sponsor packages, oversee recruitment and management of exhibitors/sponsors including coordination with conference center and trade show service providers
- Food and beverage management: plan and manage all event menus
- AV: oversee audio-visual needs/contracts
- Registration: assist in setting up and managing online registration including accepting payments, supporting attendees with registration issues, and processing cancellations/refunds; run on-site conference registration and information desk. We use X-CD software (http://www.x-cd.com).
- Budget management: build a budget forecast and then track all financial transactions and work with meeting committee to keep the meeting to budget; oversee meeting bank accounts and produce a post-conference financial reconciliation
- Conference program: assist in delivery of conference program via online schedule, mobile app, (both in X-CD), hardcopy, and event signage on-site
- Satellite events: assist in the management of various satellite events before, during and after the conference including helping with registration, site-selection, food & beverage, and AV. (Consult past programs for examples of the sorts of events.)
- Volunteers: oversee the selection, training, scheduling, and compensation of student ‘volunteers’
Skills & Qualifications:
- Professional training in conference organization/management preferred
- Experience with the planning of conferences, workshops, or other events required; experience with large events preferred
- Experience planning scientific meetings and working with non-profit societies an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills required
- Attention to detail and competence with budgets and financial accounting required
- Must be able to meet deadlines and multitask in an organized way
- Must be able to respond promptly to queries and requests
- Experience designing and updating websites preferred
- Experience with scientific meetings preferred
- Some travel required for planning visits, to attend the meeting, and possibly future meeting site selection
- Term of appointment: 1-year, renewable if mutually agreeable following performance review.
Compensation will be commensurate with duties and will be issued as lump sum payments once or twice annually. The Conference Manager may use part of these payments to hire additional staff if required. In addition to compensation payments, the Conference Manager and associated staff will be reimbursed for all travel expenses (e.g. site visits and conference attendance).
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and a CV or resume to Dr. Andrea Case: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: Oct. 31, 2017